Summer is in full swing! The season brings out sunny days, vacation and plenty of events. Oftentimes, this includes treats and delicious foods. With all of these indulgences, how can you keep your oral health in check? At Simply Wellness Dental, we’ve got a few ideas for healthy summer foods to keep your smile healthy too.
Swap out any sugar-filled desserts like ice cream and popsicles for fresh fruits instead! There are plenty of fresh fruits that can satisfy your ‘sweet tooth’ cravings. Plus they have many oral health benefits too!
- Peaches – have a natural sweetness which can be added to any meal or snack. Put them in a salad, or cut up in a fruit salad! Peaches contain vitamin C and fluoride.
- Strawberries – this summertime staple fruit can be picked fresh or found locally at their best! They contain high amounts of vitamin C, collagen, fluoride and calcium.
- Blueberries – Always a crowd favourite! They are full of rich vitamins containing vitamin K1, vitamin C, magnesium, plus they also have high water and high fiber content too.
- Watermelon – best enjoyed in the summer, it’s a great fruit with vitamin C, vitamin A, and potassium content. It has the highest water content of fruit, and contains fiber. To top it off it has the lowest sugar count of most fruits too!
The summer season is a great time to take advantage of fresh vegetables from your garden or local grocery store. Here are a few vegetable ideas to try:
- Summer Squash – Grilling, roasting, baking or frying – you can’t go wrong when it comes to summer squash. High in vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, folate, and magnesium – this is a delicious and healthy vegetable to enjoy!
- Corn – Whether you’re eating it off the cob from the barbeque or chopping it into a salad – summer is the season for corn! Full of vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin E and high in fiber.
- Zucchini – another stand-alone or mix-in delicious veggie! It boasts vitamin A, magnesium, vitamin C, and potassium.
Take advantage of these delicious fresh summertime food options. Not only will they benefit your oral health and smile, but your overall health too!
Check-In On Your Oral Health
Don’t forget to regularly check-in with your dentist to make sure your oral health is on track. Our team at Simply Wellness Dental is happy to help! Book your routine dental check-up with a Burnaby dentist here.