December is here, and we are all excited for the upcoming holidays. This season is famous for celebration and feasting. While most of these food choices are sugary and pose a risk to your oral health, there are several things you can do to ensure your smile stays beaming even after the holidays are over. Here are a few healthy holiday tips from our team of dental professionals:
Make Tooth-Friendly Food Choices
There are many healthy food alternatives that you can consider and still have a delicious feast while maintaining your oral health. We suggest trying the following:
- Consuming cheese, nuts, and raw vegetables as appetizers. Cheese and nuts contain beneficial properties that can help with your tooth enamel. Chewing raw vegetables helps to clean in between the teeth, as well as stimulate saliva, which washes away bacteria.
- Serve a pumpkin pie! They are rich in vitamin C, which helps to keep gums healthy.
- Prepare your meals with sesame oil, as it can reduce the effects of plaque. It can also help in fixing gums related issues.
- Have fresh pears and plain yogurt in your meal plan. Fresh peers help neutralize the acid in the mouth, which causes decay-causing bacteria. Yogurt contains calcium, which strengthens teeth.
- Avoid acidic foods. Acidic foods weaken your teeth’ enamel and gums, making your teeth exposed and vulnerable to decay. Skip red wine and other stain-causing foods this holiday when possible.
Drink A Lot Of Water
Drinking water throughout the day helps clean the food left in between the teeth that could attract bacteria. It also helps your body stay hydrated; thus, a healthy amount of saliva is produced in the mouth. Drinking fluoridated water is highly recommended to help strengthen your tooth enamel.
Practice A Good Oral Hygiene Routine
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, most of us will be celebrating the holidays in the comfort of our homes. With that being said, you can practice oral hygiene even more frequently! Remember to do the following at least twice a day
- Brush your teeth and tongue for at least two minutes.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss your teeth gently, at least once every day.
- Use mouthwash containing fluoride.
Enhance Your Oral Health at Our Burnaby Dental Office
Visit your Burnaby dentist at Simply Wellness Dental to give your smile a treat after the festivities. Your oral health is our top priority. We’d be happy to inform you about our other services, including Invisalign, cosmetic dentistry, tooth replacement, and oral appliances. Call us today at +1 604-423-3737 to book your next dental appointment.
We hope you have a fun and healthy holiday season!